Back home, a day off yesterday saw some progress – although ballasting was a disaster, and will have to be rethought, but the rails are painted and there’s some greenery starting to appear. (All too uniform just now, but I’ll work on layering it up.)
A visit to take my lad to see Grandma gave me the chance to sneak in some research on the northern end of the line, where Chapel Lane yard is set.
I need to work on the colouring of the stonework, there’s a red/pink hue which I haven’t captured yet. The terminus site can be seen at the rear of the hotel, alongside the beck, while chapel land yard would have been situated on the south side of the High Street. The house with arched access to the rear is typical of the town, and something similar might well make an appearance at some point.
Today’s progress mainly focused on the chapel:
The door is rubbish! It will need replaced. Other than that I am reasonably pleased – it’s not as crisp as I would like, but for pretty much a first attempt I’m content.
Today’s post brought a John Day Bedford WLG (photos once the paint is dry!) and the chapel door and windows from York Modelmakers. So I set to, and started hacking out the door and window openings – the chapel is square – the image is distorted as I must have held the phone at an angle.
Chapel bits are en-route, quick turnaround by York Modelmakers, and a Simplex arrived today too. I was also able to stock up on stone walling, so tonight I’ve made progress on Cottage Mk2
After a fantastic result for Scotland in the rugby, once we’d finished celebrating (England too, so both nationalities in the house were happy), I set to work to build a replacement for the RTP (ready-to-plonk) Hornby terraced house, since it’s brick construction is hardly typical of the upper Eden.
Initially I thought of using the farm worker’s cottage that comes as part of the Metcalfe Manor farm, however I bu&&ered up building it and anyway the lack of relief and tiny proportions were bugging me, so I set about a freelanced replacement in plastic, utilising the same Peco N gauge stonework I have used for the chapel frontage.
Realised the front to back dimension was too short and the roofline too steep for the area. However I ran out of Peco stonework so there is where progress ended for the weekend.
Meanwhile, pending arrival of windows and door, this is the blank face of the chapel:
Apologies for the lack of updates. I was away form home for work last week so progress has slowed. However I have worked on the roadway (no pictures as boring!) and started the chapel frontage, although I have reconsidered my choice of doors and windows and have ordered some suitably ecclesiastical replacements from York Modelmakers.
I’ve also bought some sea foam to experiment with for trees, and a post office van!
I’m undecided on period, 1930s makes sense historically (and I have suitable standard gauge stock for when I ever build KS exchange sidings) but 1950 ish would allow a line side Landrover etc, maybe not much of a reason, but compelling for me. However, I’m thinking the infrastructure and stock would have changed little over the last 20 years of the line’s life, so perhaps changeable mainline stock and vehicles will work.
I decided I really couldn’t cope with the backscene and it’s gone. I immediately feel happier! I think any replacement will use flush mount brackets so that it is removable. Certainly the ID backscenes look good in use, and I hope the “premium” version will be less fragile.
As the eagle eyed will note, the chapel has moved on somewhat from a two dimension mock-up. It now occupies three dimensions, stands on its own foundation, and will serve as base for either a card or plastic final skin. It’s knocked up from 5mm foamboard, and odds and ends of packaging card.
As I’m no good at geometry, the final form was very much trial and error, but with an outer skin I think it will pass muster.
Wise counsel has suggested I retain the existing arrangement, and I am sure they are right. Tonight I mocked up a better impression of the chapel, which also (I think) proves my reservations over the height of the backscene are unfounded, I just need to get the sky to stick on better!
Another two forward, one back kind of day.
I added a backscene (and immediately regretted it) and the sky covering is still resisting my efforts to glue it flat.
On a more positive note, I started adding some transfers to the repainted stock (the coal wagon still needs its interior painting) and I’m pretty pleased with the result:
And, pending a site visit (middle of next month) I think I’ve found my chapel:
However, a re-examination of the topography of Brough, suggests that a better name might be Bridge Street, since the obvious (to my eyes at least) location for the station and adjoining yard are alongside the Swindale beck, either side of the High street. I might revert to my earlier arrangement with the street parallel to the board end and wider, since that might fit the supposed locale better. When I go down in February I will walk the ground and make my mind up.